Tuesday, June 8, 2010

We accepted a referral

So at 1:30 we drove to the SDA and waited for them to get back from lunch. At 2:00 we were called in and a cute girl “psychologist” had us sit down, explain why we wanted to adopt from Ukraine and then explained that all of the adoptable kids were not healthy. Then, she started showing us kids. Telling us their names, birthdates, siblings, if parental rights had been terminated, and medical issues. There were a lot of cute kids with a lot of medical issues. Then, I started to get a feel as she talked about a kid. By the next kid, my heart was about to explode and I knew that this was the referral we were supposed to accept. We were told that he had a hearing impairment and was hyperactive. We looked at a few more children and saw a cute little blond haired, blue-eyed girl that was almost two. She reminded me of Kate a little and I was totally drawn to her but I knew that other little boy was our child. The psychologist then called the orphanage director to get more information about D. We were told that he had been diagnosed mentally retarded, hearing impaired, behavioral issues and a whole bunch of other things but we knew he was our and didn’t believe the hype. Also, if it ends up being true, it really doesn’t matter because we know this is the child that was meant to be in our family. We will try and fly out Thursday morning if it works. The social worker we have to meet in the region Donetsk might not be there Thursday and Friday delaying us until Monday but we will find out tomorrow for sure. We will be on our knees tonight hoping for a quick appointment. I just want to meet him and then get the paperwork done so we can "get the kid" as Daniel would say.

3 comments:

The McEacherns said...

Hey, Jill. So excited for you that you think you've found your child. If you're headed to Artemovsk (where we adopted Isabel from) be sure to check out the Hotel Omega by the lake for your stay. For us, it was $40 per night, and it was great. Also, we had a fabulous, non-smoking taxi driver there. If you're headed there, email me or leave a comment and I'll get some info for you on the town. I'd also love to be able to pass on to the director and caregivers an update on Isabel. Let me know! Blessings!

Jolene said...

I love having all of these updates Jill! Your family is in my prayers! I hope it all turns out exactly the way you want it to! I love you!

Aaron & Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on finding your little boy! Can't wait to hear about your journey. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.